Exhibition Contributions: Lauren Landry
Lauren Landry is a traditional artist with a focus on watercolors and pastels on canvas.
Residing in the sleepy town of Meadow Lake, she enjoys the outdoors, gardening, and Shang Simla history.
In her spare time, she drafts architectural plans for public buildings as the founder of the Meadow Lake Residents for Responsible Growth or MLRRG.
d. 1989, oils on canvas
"With this piece, I was most interested in exploring the beauty of ancient Shang Simla culture. The headdress is inspired by the famous Peony Diadem housed in the Shang Simla Museum of Cultural Significance."
Portrait of a Queen II
d. 1990, oils on canvas
"Expanding on the themes of my previous piece, I decided to focus in more on the symbolism of peonies. In ancient times, they were associated with love and rebirth - the pink petals compared to an eternal desire and pure affection for one's family and country. There are a few anachronisms on display which I intentionally included to add vibrancy and color. For instance, this woman's headdress indicates that she is from southwestern Shang Simla whereas her necklace is an almost exclusively northern design."



Comments
Post a Comment